There has been some confusion about the dress code.
Dress code is a district wide policy that must be adhered to by all CVISD students. The full information about the dress code can be found in the CVISD handbook starting on page 39--the handbook is available at http://www.cvisd.org/Page/6878. A handout covering dress code has also been sent home recently with your child.
These are some of the most misunderstood areas of the dress code:
Capri Pants, Slacks, Shorts, Skorts, Skirts, Dresses, or Jumpers
- should be solid color khaki black or navy
- must fit at the waist and be properly hemmed or cuffed at or below ankle but not dragging on the ground ("slicing" and "ragging" are not allowed)
- may not be worn in any way that reflects gang affiliation, conceals contraband, or creates a distraction ("sagging" is not allowed)
- no stretch slacks, sweatpants, jogging pants, jeggings, joggers, wind suits, warm-ups, overalls , or coveralls are allowed.
- no leather, suede, corduroy, or vinyl fabrics
- no outside (sewn on) oversized expandable pockets -- such as cargo or safari pockets/pants
- Length of skorts, skirts, dresses, or jumpers must be no more than 4 inches above the knee
- Jeans may only be worn on Spirit Days/Fridays with the spirit or organizational t-shirts
- shall be solid color (no multicolor)-- no glitter, shimmer, or other color distraction is permitted
- may contain a single logo no larger than a US quarter
- must have a standard collar
- May be a polo, golf syle, or button down dress style shirt
- May not be leather, suede or vinyl
- May not be sleeveless, unhemmed, or low cut
- May not be spaghetti strap (even if covered by another garment)
- Shall be appropriately sized-- no tight fitting knit tops or oversized shirts
- No midriff tops, shimmel/shear shirts, cut off shirts or others that expose the midriff area during normal activity
- Must be appropriately buttoned
- may not be worn in any way that reflects gang affiliation, conceals contraband, or creates a distraction
- If a t-shirt or turtleneck shirt is worn underneath the shirt it shall be a solid color.
TOP and BOTTOM Colors of standardized dress items must be in contrasting colors (eg. no black & black, khaki & khaki; navy&navy)
SPIRIT DAY/Friday ATTIRE
- Jeans may be worn on Fridays with "Spirit" or "Organizational" shirts as approved by the principal
- Must still follow other pant/bottom rules as to fit and condition
- "Spirit" or "Organizational" shirts may be worn with standardized pants OR jeans
- Jeans MAY NOT BE WORN without a Spirit or Organizational shirt
- Standardized dress is also acceptable for Friday/Spirit Day attire
- New students enrolling in Channelview ISD for the first time will be provided a grace period of no more than 10 school days to comply with the dress code.
- Revealing or tight garments considered inappropriately sized are prohibited.
- Accessories with inappropriate decorations or advertisements are prohibited. This includes but is not limited to, any item that depicts the occult, gang membership, death, suicide, violence, drugs, alcohol, tobacco, weapons, sex, ethnic bias, or vulgar language.
- Only CLEAR or MESH backpacks/bookbags will be allowed on school property or at school sponsored events.
- NO Bookbags are allowed at Apollo.
Unacceptable Hair and Grooming:
- No facial hair allowed. Students will be required to shave immediately if facial hair is noticeable.
- No gang related, profane, vulgar, or otherwise distracting hairstyle or designs cut into the hair
- Any tattoo cut into the skin shall be covered at all times
- No Inappropriate hair coloring that is a distraction to the learning environment-- (eg Orange, green etc)
- No mohawks
- Hair must be neat and clean.