Greetings from the Counselors' Looking Glass
Counseling Department Mission Statement
It is the mission of the School Counseling Program of Alice Johnson Junior High School to recognize and respect the unique qualities of each student and guide all students toward academic, personal, social, and career success. By collaborating with other educators, the families of students, and members of the community, using a comprehensive guidance program, maintaining high expectations for all students, and addressing barriers to learning, we aim to provide students with the skills, knowledge, and attitude to become effective learners and productive members of their communities.
Counselors can help....
- Students develop a better understanding and acceptance of themselves.
- Students cope with family changes.
- Students develop decision making and problem solving skills.
- Students develop socially and emotionally to mature in their relationships with others.
- Students understand themselves in relation to their own development.
- Students develop organizational and study skills.
- Students prepare for high and college.
- Parents understand their children's emotions, behaviors, and learning styles.
If you need help with any of the above situations, please stop by and see us. We are happy to help!
Your counselor can also assist you with:
- Crisis issues
- Small Groups for Anger Management, Personal Skills, Self-Esteem, and Grief
- Regular Summer School Registration
- Preparation for STAAR testing
- Student Scheduling/Schedule Changes
- Registration for Incoming 7th and 8th graders
- 6th through 8th grade Orientation
- Red Ribbon Week
- Academic Advisement for High School and beyond
All student schedules were based on course requests. We make every effort to accommodate all requests but in some instances an alternate choice may be given. We will not be able to make any schedule changes for electives or teacher choices. If your child is not in the correct placement for a core class, please contact a counselor.
Alice Johnson Junior High Counseling Staff
Mrs. D. Placencia